Pages

Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Ok..... one more.... then I'll go!

I forgot to mention how much I enjoyed Steve's re-telling (excuse the pun) of his trip to the storytelling conference and how at one session, all of Matthew was re-told. I began to think about what that would be like. When I was young...er... A friend of mine who was mentoring me, asked me how my bible reading was going. I said... "Blah, not really going at all". So she got me to sit down with my bible and pick a place to start reading. I chose the baptism of Jesus. She told me to read it myself and then when I was done, to let her know. So I read it and then told her I finished. She asked me what I had read... had i enjoyed what I read. I said "Jesus was baptised and no, i didnt find it that interesting at all". Then my friend asked me to read it again and read it out loud to her. So I did... again.... didnt think much of it. Finally she said... now... close your eyes....(I did)

.. think back to the beginning of what you have read and imagine you in the scene... imagine you are there... waiting to be baptised by John the baptist... lining up along the river-side.

What's the weather like (That was easy.... hot) How many people are there? (2-300) Mostly men or are there women, how many children (more women and children... which i thought was strange)

How close are you from getting baptised, are you close to John the baptist, can you see what he is doing? (I could see him... he needed a shower) Then, Jesus comes... where does he come from, in what direction? (opposite side from me... he walks across and greets John) How does John respond? (He knows something is up) Does anyone else know something has changed (actually some do.... some are annoyed Jesus cut the line).....and so on and on when this scene in my mind.

When i opened my eyes.... she told me to read the passage again.... FAR OUT... did things change! She asked me... how does the baptism apply to my life... i said i dont know... but then thought about it.... I said... wait... how come Jesus got baptised? He's God.. surely He's excempt?.... and that started a whole big lesson about setting an example as a leader... and it was an incredible lesson...... I will never forget that story. Can't even fathom what a whole book in the bible would do to me!

No comments:

Post a Comment